home > Foot Health > Arthritis



Arthritis can affect the joints in the feet causing pain, including osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. For arthritis suffers, the key consideration when choosing shoes is comfort. House shoes from Wider Fit Shoes may be the answer for you - they're as soft as a slipper, but as supportive as a shoe, and so soft and comfortable, you'll forget you have them on.

lf you have trouble finding the right style and fit of shoe, ask a qualified foot health shoe fitting professional for advice.


Osteoarthritis frequently causes degeneration of the cartilage and formation of bony spurs at the base of the big toe. This sometimes causes bunions to develop, and wider shoes may be necessary. High-heeled and pointed shoes should be avoided, since they can put unnecessary pressure at the point of the bunion. Degeneration of the arch of the foot can be associated with spur formation on the top of the foot. This can put pressure on adjacent nerves of sensation, which can cause a feeling of burning of the foot and toes. When this discomfort occurs, patients should avoid tying the shoe tightly or wear a shoe that does not rub or cause pressure at the point of the spur.

Rheumatoid arthritis

Rheumatoid arthritis causes inflammation of the joints at the ball of the foot, which loosens their ligaments and can cause the bone to push against the skin of the bottom of the foot. This can lead to tender calluses and ulcerations at the ball of the foot which may even require surgical repair. Further rheumatoid deformity can cause abrasion of the tops of the toes.

If for any reason having received your shoes they are not comfortable or do not meet your needs please talk to our customer services team who can give you further help ring +44 (0)1933 359217 Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm or return the shoes using our FREE returns service to get an alternative size / fitting.

Disclaimer: This information is of a general nature and should not be taken as a diagnosis. All questions and concerns should be directed to your Doctor, Podiatrist or other health advisor.